Dustspot Loft Ventilation

The goal of Dustspot is to help home and building owners improve the quality of their indoor air. While most people assume that indoor air is clean as long as no one is smoking, that’s actually not the case. The reality of indoor air is that there are all kinds of issues that can lower its quality. One of the most common culprits of low indoor air quality is mold.

Where Does Mold Grow?

Mold can grow in almost any area that has moisture. Because mold thrives in moist environments, one of the most common places for it to grow is in lofts. Many homeowners don’t realize how much moisture can accumulate in their loft spaces. The reason this happens is because many lofts aren’t properly ventilated. In order to avoid moisture accumulation in a loft space, fresh air needs to be pulled in and existing air needs to have a way to leave this space.

The most effective way to create this type of ventilation is by adding the right balance of intake and exhaust vents. However, it’s possible to have these vents in place and still have a loft that isn’t properly ventilated. This type of situation can occur if blown insulation or rolls of insulation are blocking the vents in a loft. Additionally, it can also happen if a loft has too many or few vents for its size.

What are the Effects of Mold Growth?

If mold begins growing in your home, it can cause two major issues. The first is significantly lowering the quality of your air. Research has found that people who live in a home where mold is growing may experience:

  • Wheezing
    • Eye irritation
    • Nasal stuffiness

In cases of people who are actually allergic to mold, their reactions can be even more serious. Additionally, if someone has a chronic lung illness and is living in a home where mold is growing, it’s possible for them to develop an infection in their lungs. While protecting their family’s health is enough to motivate most people to take mold seriously, it’s worth noting that it can also cause damage to your home. Because mold can spread through a home so quickly, it doesn’t take very long for it to cause a significant amount of damage.

How Do You Get Rid of Mold?

If you discover a small amount of mold in your home, it may be possible to get rid of it on your own. If you decide to attempt a DIY approach to mold removal, make sure to fully protect yourself before beginning. In the event that you find a large amount of mold growing in your home, it’s best to enlist the help of a professional. Keep in mind that the issue with both of those options is that even if mold is removed, unless the original source of moisture is remedied, it’s likely that the mold will return. As a result, it’s best to not put off ventilating your loft so that you can avoid having this problem in the first place.


Back to Top